I got to hand it to Cyan Worlds. They have truly done something that may very well cause a revolution in how we play MMORPGs. Cyan Worlds, the creators of the famous Myst series, released some time ago Myst: Online. This was to be an MMO version of their popular series. However recently the company has hit it pretty hard financially. The game was first dropped by Ubisoft and then by GameTap.
Once Cyan Worlds got their IP back, the hardcore fans of URU(Myst Online) decided to stick around as Cyan Worlds held only one solitary server up for its fans. They called this project MORE(Myst Online Restoration Experiment). For the longest time, due to even more financial setbacks everything was quiet.
Until this bit of news. Myst Online Goes OPEN SOURCE! Click here for their official announcement.
So what does this mean for YOU as a gamer? Expect a lot of mods and addons by players to an MMORPG. For some this is simply a dream come true. All the freedom of player/fan modification to an MMO is truly mind bloggling when it comes to possibilities. However this could also be the destruction of URU. Depending on how the modders swing it, it could either be a breath taking achievement...or a complete disaster.
I'm really looking forward to see how this project develops. Depending on its success we could see more MMORPGs releasing their sources, truly changing how we play the genre. Don't believe me? Go check out the large variety of "maps" in StarCraft and WarCraft III. While the game is an RTS*real time strategy*, many of the custom player-made maps range from RPGs, Defense Maps, and other unique maps that really don't fit a genre like Aeon of Strife.
I'm really looking forward to this.
- ► 2009 (50)
12/14 - 12/21
- New format is up..kinda...maybe...well..
- Tabula Rasa goes free early!
- Site will be under some construction..
- MMORPGs are Evil
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Update
- Danshir talks to Aeria Games!
- EVE's Starbase Exploit Reachs Cosmic Proportions
- Shadowbane, World of Warcraft, and The Evil Tyrant...
- A sad author..
- Subscription MMORPGs Hate MT MMORPGs?
- SOE announces Station Cash a success
- Earthrise - About the game and beta announcements
- MMORPG Group Dynamics
- A City of Heroes Experience: Evil Teleport
- Myst Online - Real Innovation
- ▼ 12/14 - 12/21 (15)