Wednesday, December 10, 2008
A few days ago ShackNews reported that the highly anticipated MMORPG(to me), Star Wars: The Old Republic would be a Micro-Transaction game. This apparently sent an uproar among the MMORPG community(a great example is the comments here at BrokenToys ). While EA came around and said it was all a big misunderstanding, the whole ordeal made me wonder. What is it about MT and F2P(Free to play) MMORPGs that upsets the community so? A lot of these arguments stem from the general stereotype that F2P and MT games are not of "Triple A" value.
Now was there an actual misunderstanding or did EA change it's mind after discovering the outrage by the community? The sheer rage by a lot of posts are truly confusing to my fragile little mind. Some stated that most F2P games have nothing but 12 year olds playing. I would like to point out Barrens chat to you in a tiny subscription MMORPG called World of Warcraft. Or trade channel, or ANY channel for that matter. While these "kids" may not be 12, but more like 18 and older...
So with EA silent about what type of payment model they will be using, I can only stare at my fellow MMORPG gamers in confusion. Did we just shoot ourselves in the foot here? We had a game being developed by Bioware, who's record of making brilliant games rivals some of the best, and when it was "misunderstood" as being a MT based game everyone freaks out? These kind of biased responses that can shift a game from being a paragon of awesome to crap kinda scares me. Considering the bully power that has been used on Blizzard before to make in-game changes, what else will change from start of production to release due to angry, confused, and misguided players?
- ► 2009 (50)
12/07 - 12/14
- Richard Bartle fights World of Warcraft Torture
- World of Warcraft Sex...wait...WHAT?!
- Dream of Mirror Online - My first day..
- An MMO Experience : WoW in Calimshan
- Aeria Games loves me..apparently.
- Dreams of Mirror Online - Watashia wakarimasin
- My World of Warcraft role models...
- An EverQuest Experience: Ding !
- EverQuest: A patch to fix the emergency patch that...
- What MMORPG would YOU like to play?
- Shin Megami Tensei(aka MegaTen) Continued..?
- EverQuest RMT patch needs emergency patch
- EverQuest & EverQuest 2 goes RMT! And I fight it!
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Update..Kinda.
- An EverQuest Experience: Oh....no...
- Comments must be moderated =(
- Leadership and Ninjas
- Blade & Soul
- An EverQuest Experience: A song of death..
- ▼ 12/07 - 12/14 (19)